Sunday 17 February 2013

A Special Nightwalk...

A while ago I received a message from my good friend Ed Whitby informing me there was an invitational afternoon with Chris Yates coming up where he would be signing some special deluxe editions of Nightwalk, and asked if I’d like to go. We’d been talking about my future involvement in Angling Heritage for a while and this would be a great opportunity to meet the founders, Keith and Sandy Armishaw of River Reads in Torrington.

Yesterday I received the bad news that Ed couldn’t make it down, but that I’d still be welcome to attend. Attend I did and this afternoon I spent a few hours with some lovely folk. Keith and Sandy were every bit as lovely as Ed said they were, we chatted about various things and I’m pleased to say that sometime in the near future I will be involved in one way or another with AH. They are passionate about what they do, not only with the book side of things, but also with the AH, and with the membership scheme they have introduced, I can see it going from strength to strength.

There were other wonderful people at the event, a very informal gathering of around a dozen lovely guests I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with. Some of which I will remain in touch with. And then there was a certain Mr Yates, on form as ever, late, quirky, witty and only too keen to tell a few fishing stories. We spoke about the time I almost broke his favourite rod last time we met, we spoke of my favourite local water, Waggoners Wells, and many other things whilst he signed my book. A deluxe cloth bound slip case edition of Nightwalk. Mine is number 13 of only 15 copies. The leather edition available on the day was awesome and was a limited run of 30 copies.

Here are a few shots of my book, the owl he drew in it for me, along with the same on the accompanying post card. Also, you can see the included print of the badger Chris’s son Will drew.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Time sped by and before long it was time to say adios to everyone and head home. It was great to meet Sandy and Keith, to catch up with Chris and to meet some new friends, but it would hae been great of Ed could have made it as well. The journey home would have been great if I hadn’t headed for Ringwood instead of Andover and added half an hour onto my journey. But then, having said that, it’s been a good while since I got lost, and everyone has to get lost once in a while don’t they?
 
http://www.riverreads.co.uk/t-RR-angling-heritage.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment