Sunday, 5 April 2015

Easter Weekend

Forgive me if this seems a little rushed, I'm dead tired...

I decided to be brave this weekend, it is April after all. I'd been to the moat twice during the week to deposit some sweetcorn onto the spots I'd ultimately be fishing. Peg 27 is one of my favourites, tucked away in the corner, just the way I like them. The problem lies with the fact that the swim isn't big enough to spend the night in.....well, for most maybe. 

I tipped up around 2:30 on Saturday afternoon and carries my scaled down gear to the swim. There was a match on one section, but it was far enough away for me not to see or hear a soul. I set up camp, which consisted of chair under a brolly. With the rods fishing either margin I settled back and made some tea. 

Teatime came and so did the bream, they were relentless shaking their heads violently from side to side all the way in. Some had to be pushing 8lbs too. Just on dark I made a cast with the left hand rod which took off before I could put it in the rests, it was a lovely dark tench of around 3lbs.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 454)Image

The bream came steadily to both rods, but slowed down shortly before midnight, that's when the sky cleared, the moon shone and the temperature plummeted. I really didn't expect it to drop as cold as it did. But at am I wound in and went to the car to settle down and get some sleep. By 3am I was back in the swim with both rods back on their spots and some renewed confidence. It remained very cold and the remainder of my sleep was carried out shivering on my unhooking matt. 

I only had one more bream, then about 6:30 the left had rod buzzed in the darkness. I picked up the rod, wound down and struck into my first carp of the weekend. In no time at all it was to my right and perilously close to the marginal snags there, just past where the right hand rod was fishing. I gained control, reached out with the net and scooped up a lovely looking mirror carp of mid doubles.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 503)Image

With the photos done, fish returned and the rods back out I settled back to make tea, eat some breakfast and listen to the rain drum gently against the brolly. The rain stayed until around 10. The rods remained still. 

Soon after the rain stopped I broke camp and moved into 30. Cast a rod into the right hand snags and one to the left. I sat in the chair between both rods and with the heron receiver on my lap, I had a snooze. I stirred after just short of an hour and decided to move again, it looked awfully quiet, this time into 37.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 450 x 800)Image

One rod went into a gap between the far bank bush and the bank, and the other I cast 3 metres to the left on the other side of the Bush. As I sat waiting for a bite that never came, I watched spring unfold, frogs, wasps, blue tits and ducks were insanely busy...

Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 537)Image

Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 535)Image

Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 533)Image

Zoom in (real dimensions: 799 x 535)Image

No comments:

Post a Comment